In these tough economic times we need to use every advantage we can get to raise our profiles whether we are a business or employed, however when networking the traditional way I have noticed that many people are not using social media to raise their brand awareness…professional or business
When I meet leaders I always have a look at their Linkedin profile, website and if they have a blog because 1. I am genuiely interested in people and what they do 2. If / when I meet them again I can have a more informed chat with them 3. Steve Jobs always reccommended looking outside your own industry for inspiration 4. I am nosey!
Some trends have struck me
- Linkedin – No photo or sometimes worse a horrendous one (I am a photographer as well, so I always unintentionally critique photos),or the profile hasn’t been updated in ages with what they are doing, skills, description, no recommendation’s etc. A Linkedin profile is like a CV – one that the world can see!
- Websites – They take too long to load (you have between 3 – 5 secs before someone will give up on your website). Bland, uninteresting or hard to navigate. If you had trouble getting into a store and couldn’t find anything, would you go back? Lack of pictures, I am a visual learner so pictures are a must for me
- No Blog – If your website is your virtual market place, then your blog is the voice of your business. People buy from People… always. Your blog gives you a virtual personality.
- Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest etc People tell me I don’t have time for all these, well if you set up your blog correctly it will update some of these automatically. Imagine for a moment that most people on Facebook have between 20 – 500 ‘friends’ if they like your facebook post then think how many people that could reach. It costs nothing, but a little time
If you are currently employed you maybe thinking, I don’t have a business, this doesn’t affect me, well something to consider is
- Most recruiters will search on the web for applicants, if a recruiter searched for you what would they find…
- Research has shown that potential recruiters are actually suspicious of people who don’t have a web identity
- How safe are anyone’s job these days, it better to be ahead of the competition
As part of a stand alone package or as part of a coaching package I will help you increase and enhance your social media profile; please see my page https://mcdougalldevelopment.com/social-media-raising-your-professional-business-brand/
email me at email@example.com
Still need convincing watch this youtube video
Oh in the spirit of this post, please feel free to contact me on Linkedin, Like my Facebook page at the bottom of the home page, tweet, wordpress – like / press this or share in any other way! 😉
Linkedin hints & tips
Let me know what you think about using social media
3 thoughts on “Raising your profile with Social Media”
Great article, however, what if all the social media marketing in the past year has not gleaned a response from anybody? What annoys me about it is people will “like” a fan page but then nothing else – not interact, not ask questions, nothing – what is the point of liking a business users page and then not doing anything else ?
Some websites have become too big – they are filled with fake profiles and people who spam. Social Media needs a reboot !
Many thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Social Marketing can only be one aspect of any businesses marketing strategy. I am still a great believer in getting out and networking face to face
Some tips on getting interaction,views and questions on your site
1. Have a page with testimonials from your customers
2. Write short interesting articles that aren’t just adverts for your products
3. Have a call to action on every post with contact details
4. Ask for comments on your posts
5. Link relevant information from people who have a higher SEO
6. Ask your viewers what they would like to hear about on your blog.
7. Look at sites that have high interaction and comments and gleam ideas that you could use on your site
Love the fact that you do relationship coaching by skype, excellent use of modern technology. Hope you have a great week and stay positive
Thanks for the great reply ! !