Well, it’s Monday morning as I write this, and the old cliche got me to thinking about positivity.
How does attitude affect us in the workplace and not just on Mondays?
Are any of the following phrases familiar?
- Nothing changes here
- I sick of the way I am treated
- No one listens to my idea’s
- No one motivates me
- I hate my job but I have to pay the bills
- Same S*** different day
Feel free to add in the comment boxes any you regularly hear…please keep it U rated!
Have you ever worked with people that even though you’re just back from an amazing holiday and feel energised and positive to be back, they manage to make you feel like it was a distant memory by 10am?
I think everybody at some point has fallen into this trap.
A few potential solutions are straightforward, however, at first not easy
- Science says opposites attract, so when faced with a negative situation, look for the positive no matter how hard. Don’t ignore the negative, use it to get the root cause of the matter so you can find a solution
- Our ‘inner critic’ will always find ways for not doing something, as it wants to reduce the risk to ourselves. To realise our goals or dreams we always have to take risks. Ask yourself ‘What is the worst that can happen?’
- Every day on your way home from work, remind yourself of the positives of the day. You would probably never dream of giving someone totally negative feedback so why do that to yourself.
- Catch yourself when you are moaning about work. Stop. Think about what the impact is on you and those around you. How you can change things and/or ask for help?
- Actively build a support network e.g. mentor, subject matter experts, people with experience inside and outside your field of business, family & friends
- Apart from material rewards at work e.g. pay, holidays, company car, what motivates you? Are these motivations being met in your current role and if not, what can you do to change this?
- Don’t sweat the small stuff
- Everyday day do something to take your life forward
If your are still unconvinced
Have a look at the 11 benefits of being positive ihttp://www.jongordon.com/blog/2009/01/18/11-benefits-of-being-positive/
Finally, who do you prefer to be around at work and in your personal life… positive or negative people?
If you have any suggestions or questions around personal / team development drop it into the comment box and I will look to include it in future blogs. I hope you have an amazing week.