I have been lucky enough to have some great managers in the last 21 years and I thought that I would capture what made them great bosses in a top 10, because by understanding what makes a great leader for me will ultimately help me be a better leader.
1. Took the time to get to know me and my motivations and aspirations and linked these to work I was asked to do
2. Treated people in the orgainisation as peers; everybodies job was important and contributed to the success as a whole from cleaners to CEO’s
3. Set down clear expectation around my role and targets and then gave me the autonomy and trust to go and do it, however, they were there if I needed support
4. Introduced me to their network. They always looked to work across departments in a collaborative way rather than view them as competition.
5. Encouraged discussion, feedback and new ideas
6. Forgive and forget – if I made a geniune mistake I received support to fix it and it was never cast up again.
7. They had my back and had little toleration for disfunctional behaviour against a member of their team
8. Encouraged me to develop myself
9. Helped me see the positive in situations and the value of positive thought in life
10. Let me know the big picture and what was my part in it
How do you rate yourself against this top 10?
What would you add to this list?
What would you take out?
I would love to hear your comments, hope you have a great day